The Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) reduces the amount of federal income tax you pay, thus giving you more available income to qualify for a mortgage loan and assist you with house payments.
The MCC is available to homebuyers who meet household income and home purchase price limits established for the MCC Program, as well as other federal eligibility regulations.
How will a MCC assist my home purchase?
The federal government allows each homeowner to claim an itemized federal income tax deduction for the amount of interest paid each year on a mortgage loan. For a homeowner with a MCC, this benefit is even better: 20% of your annual mortgage interest will be a direct federal tax credit, resulting in a dollar-for-dollar reduction of your annual federal income tax liability. The remaining 80% of your annual mortgage interest will continue to qualify as an itemized tax deduction. The amount of your mortgage credit depends on the amount of interest you pay on your mortgage loan. However, the amount of your mortgage credit cannot exceed the amount of your annual federal income tax liability. Unused mortgage credit can be carried forward for three years to offset future income tax liability.
What are the requirements?
The MCC requirements include the following:
For more information, you can read the Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) brochure and see a list of all the participating lenders.
Top 100 Realtors Hawaii (Top 50 on Oahu) - Most Transactions
Top 1% of all Realtors on Oahu
Top 1% of Realtors Nationwide - Emerald Elite Award BHGRE
Top 3% of Real Estate Teams Nationwide - Emerald Elite Award BHGRE
Voted 'Best in Real Estate', Honolulu Magazine
*Former Licensed Certified Public Accountant, (CPA) - Not in public practice
Colin Lee, (808) 352-8587 ColinL@BetterHawaii.com